Wednesday, February 19, 2014

PT, stairs and babies oh my

So today was my PT appointment, I was feeling nervous/anxious for some reason and I wasn't really sure why but I was experiencing some tummy troubles while waiting for Andrew to pick me up. 

While coming down the stairs I caught a glimpse of my hugely swollen midsection covered in stripes and I felt instantly depressed. That mirror is in a terrible place. My legs look normal and yet from the waist up I look swollen and blob like. I just keep telling myself that when this is all over and I can walk again it will all be worth it. As long as I can walk it will definitely be worth it. 

We left the house promptly at 2:30.
My legs were a bit wobbly from my 30 minutes of standing last night! Yes 30 minutes go me! 
I managed to make it into the car without much of an issue. Andrew had to help me down the one stair but other then that I did ok. 
The drive there was short, yet the parking took forever as always. You would think such a large place would have a better parking arrangement. I mean the lots are huge but there is never any parking! The only time the lot is some what empty is when I have an appt at like 8am. 
Since my body loves to attract every germ necessary I sport this fantastic mask!
Don't be jealous, you can pick up your own at walgreens ;) 
A little boy walked past our car while I had it on and I heard him say "SHE'S WEARING A MASK!" Maybe masks are cool to little kids? I don't know. 

Once we are parked and Andrew pushes me to the office we arrive promptly at 3pm to the front desk. My appointment was at 3 so it was perfect timing and we only waited a few minutes for Ericka. 
Ericka calls us back and we go into her room and discuss how I have been feeling with the exercises. 
Been feeling pretty good, still hate the balance exercises the most especially leaning back. 
Still using the level 2 orange band for my bridges and ankle pumps. The sitting exercises with the ankle weights are my favorite over sitting without ankle weights. 
I tell her mostly I have been working on doing laps and standing. She marks all of this down which I assume she puts in my chart at some point.

Then we head to the gym to do the treadmill. There's a kid sitting in the hall on his iPad. He's probably like 10 he has his feet kicked out. I get it he wants to be comfortable, but do you think he bothered to move his legs while we were coming through with a wheelchair? No he sure didn't. I wanted to call him a little shit or yell "oh don't mind us we will get through" or "thanks so much for your accommodation" but I figured that would make me look like a giant shit and well I'm really not. 

I feel exhausted today before I even get on the treadmill and I'm just over all feeling slow. The harness feels like it takes an eternity to get on today. My standing is ok but my legs are so shakey from my muscles being tired. 
Plus on the floors In there my walker slides and it's a bit harder to stand in one spot without someone like blocking my front wheel. 


We do 3 laps as always, each lap this time was approximately 2 minutes long and at speed between 1.0-1.1 (last times laps were at a speed of 0.7-0.9). I laugh and tell Ericka not to record them be because I wanted better times then last time and she assured me my form and endurance were better this time. 
After we finish the treadmill and remove the harness etc we head to the hall to do some real walking. I feel like I always do better at this then the treadmill. I'm not entirely sure why that is.
I walk down the hall all the way and then turn around and walk back to my wheelchair. Before I would always just walk the one way and then sit down. 
They said they are impressed with the improvement I have made just over the last month. My stamina has improved and they said they think it's because I have been doing my laps and standing exercises at home. They said I am doing a great job and while it's a slow process I have definitely been making progress.
Goal now are as follows:
* Incorporate a few of my laps to include my ankle weights. She said start small like maybe 2 laps 
* continue exercises with orange band and start to use green level 3 band for at least 1 set of 10

Next appointment March 14 so here's hoping for even more improvement by then! 

After the appointment we went over to any friend Keara's house to see the new baby. 
There was a step up onto the sidewalk which seemed easy enough but my legs were so tired. 
There was only two steps to the porch and then one to get inside. Andrew helped me arrange my walker in a way that I could use it to get up the stairs.  
So I finally got into the house and settled in on the couch. 
I wasn't sure if I was going to hold baby Hazel because my hands are so numb and arms are weak. Keara propped her up with some pillows though! 
I'm glad I held her she's such a little cutie and has the most adorable facial expressions already! 
I just want to pinch her little cheeks! I couldn't believe how little she actually was, in photos she looks big but she's just a little tiny girl. She opened her eyes for a little while Andrew was holding her but I wasn't able to get a good pic.
See she's so tiny! Anyhow it was nice to hang out with friends for a bit, got to see Mama Frost and Erin stopped by as well so it was great to see her! 
Made the long trip through the house to the bathroom and got paranoid my walker wasn't going to fit through the door but it did thankfully! 
So we left a little while ago since it was starting to get dark outside and I don't do so well In the dark when I can't see my feet. Plus Andrew had to finish up some work since he left early to take me to my appointment. 
The step out of the house wasn't bad, my legs were shaking and I could tell they were tired though. The other 2 steps were a bit more scary as the position of my walker wasn't an easy one, Andrew was able to do it in a way that I felt comfortable though and I successfully made it down. 
Keara and Erin said they wanted to clap for me so that made me feel good. It's nice when people see all my hard work paying off. Even if it's something small like doing a few steps. 

Got back into the car without any issues since andrew backed it up and I didn't have to do the weird curb step. Came home got into the house pretty much by myself. That step up is a lot less scary than the step down. I don't know why that is. My legs feel like jello and I pushed myself up the first flight of 6 stairs took a few minute rest and then up the next 8. 

Now I am just sitting in our "dining room" which we use as an office and hanging out for a bit with my cute boyfriend while he cooks dinner.
While I feel totally exhausted today I feel so accomplished. It was nice to get out of the house for a bit and to get my legs moving. Today I did 55mg of prednisone and while I felt sleepy at least I didn't feel gross like the other day on the 60mg. Crazy what a difference 5mg can make. 
Although I could also be tired because I stayed up late watching vampire diaries like a teenage girl ha ha!

I'm really hoping that when I ween down to 50mg. I will see a real difference and will be feeling good as can be! Fingers crossed. Won't be there for a few weeks but it will come up quick. 
The PT and I were discussing the prednisone earlier and while it's doing gross stuff to my body it is helping my nerves be able to heal so it's good. They said since I'm young my skin will probably bounce back rather quickly. I'm not sure that is the truth but I like it. 

Dinner was fantastic! Andrew cooked us some pierogis, I keep saying how amazing they tasted and he told me he coated them in butter. Everything is better with butter! 
I just made the venture up the final 16 stairs. On stair 3 my leg decided it wanted to kick out and I almost slid back down but somehow caught myself. 
My muscles are so very tired and I'm feeling very tingly. I think tonight may be an early night for me. 

I hope everyone is enjoying their week do far. 

Xo 

No comments: